Treat yourself to a home made Vegetarian Wonton Soup. These healthy wontons are filled with crumbled tofu, broccoli, spring onion and sesame seeds. This soup is actually also suitable for vegans! You’ll get 40 wontons out of this recipe, but you can of course freeze the remaining wontons for a later moment.
VEGETARIAN WONTON SOUP
If you’ve never tried making your own wontons, then I definitely recommend that you give it a go. This healthy wonton soup is truly a comfort food, without it being heavy. The broth is flavoured with ginger, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil and the little wonton wrappers are filled with vegan ingredients. You can of course add your own favorite vegetables to the filling, like diced carrots or shitake mushrooms. Just make sure your ingredients are finely chopped and not too big. It could otherwise be tricky while folding the wrappers. To help bind the filling I like to add some cornstarch.
HOW TO FOLD WONTON WRAPPERS
There are many ways to fold your wontons, from the very simple folded triangle, to beautiful diamond shapes. For this recipe I used the so called “bonnet” method. It is called this way because the wontons look like little heads with bonnets on. I would advice to choose a method that would least likely break the wontons while boiling them in the broth.
VEGETARIAN WONTON SOUP TOPPINGS
I personally love spicy food, so I like to add some delicious chili crisp oil to my soup. One of my favourite brands is this store bought Chinese chili crisp oil from Lao Gan Ma. You can get it at your local Asian food store, or order it online. To serve, add some freshly sliced spring, a sprinkle of sesame seeds or add a few drops of extra sesame oil. Sesame oil has quite a strong flavour, so be careful 😉
- 200 gr tofu, patted dry and crumbled
- 140 gr broccoli, finely cut
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger, finely grated
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 package of wonton wrappers, thawed
- White pepper
- 1200 ml water
- 2 vegetable stock cube
- 3 tsp light soy sauce
- ginger, 6 thin slices
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 spring onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Chilli crisp/chill oil/extra sesame oil to taste
Wontons (makes about 40):
Vegetarian Wonton Soup
- Put all the ingredients for the wontons in a large bowl. Season to taste with white pepper and salt.
- Unwrap the wonton package and place the wrappers under a tea towel to prevent them from drying out. Place a small bowl of water on your work surface.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot and add all the other soup ingredients and let it simmer on the lowest hub.
- Take one wrapper and fill it with one good teaspoon of filling, seal the wonton with some water. (don't put too much filling in as you will want to seal them tightly) Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
- When your wontons are ready, remove the ginger and garlic from the broth and gently boil 5-6 wontons per person in the broth for about 3-4 minutes until they come floating to the surface.
- Serve the wonton soup by ladling the soup and wontons in four bowls and garnish with spring onion and sesame seeds, Optionally add a few drops of extra sesame oil or Chinese chilli crips oil.
Suitable for a vegan diet//Like spice food? Add some delicious chilli crisp to the soup //You can freeze the remaining wontons, preferably store them in a container